Still waiting on my review copy of this, ahem! But my love for Bethenny’s sharp wit drove me to obtain a copy on my own, which I enjoyed thoroughly. Her tongue-in-cheek, no-nonsense style shines through in this kick-yer-ass book. Although it was cowritten with Eve Adamson, Bethenny’s voice shouts and nags at you from the pages. Well done, ladies!
Ten rules to help unleash your skinny girl:
* Your diet is a bank account. You can be flexible, just know you have to balance that chocolate cake with a big old plate of veggies. Don’t eat too much of one thing, nor the same thing twice, balance starches with proteins, veggies/fruits with sweets, a splurge with a save. It’s approximate. Don’t obsess.
* You can have it all, just not all at once. We need to treat ourselves like children who require this type of rule. You are responsible for what goes down your gullet. Know what you really want, and just eat that. Don’t eat all things that are in front of you. Food voice vs. food noise– if something sounds good and you can’t stop thinking about it, try to distract yourself; change lanes. A lot of times the craving stops. If craving continues, you can decide to have a taste of it. You’re still in control. Always question if you really want it. Scenario: you’re at a party, there’s loads of food on tables. Take a lap, see what’s there and what you absolutely must have. Take a breather, talk to friends, then go back and get a few bites of something.
* Taste everything, eat nothing. Along the same lines, just sample a lot of things instead of eating the whole shebang. Eat little, but well. Switching lanes– when you feel like you’re going to keep eating something because it’s delicious, make yourself stop after a few tastes and switch to a different taste.
* Pay attention. No more mindless eating while multitasking. Step away from everything else and just focus on the taste of your food. Eat sitting down. Appreciate the cooking process, taste your food, chew your food slowly and well, notice when others aren’t paying attention to their eating, be a food snob, quit multitasking, think like an Italian, sit down, slow down, pause between bites, calm yourself with deep breaths before eating, make food special.
* Downsize now. Our portion sizes are out of control. Switch your plate sizes to salad-size or smaller. At a restaurant, have your server put half your entree in a doggie bag before it reaches the table.
* Cancel your membership to the Clean Plate Club. This one strikes me particularly hard, being the frugalista that I am. It pains me to throw away food. But combining this with downsizing, perhaps finishing smaller portions is ok. Share your food with friends, save it for later, or leave it. Don’t bring bad food along with you, walk away.
* Check yourself before you wreck yourself. Yes, that’s really what she named this rule, with no nod to Ice Cube. This rule is all about not binging.
* Know thyself. Know your weaknesses, likes/dislikes, your hunger, your triggers. Be prepared with snacks if you need them.
* Get real. Eat whole food that is not processed. Be picky about what you put in your mouth. Go organic/local/seasonal. Eat the rainbow – lots of colors.
* Good for you. Exercise, sleep, be social, treat yourself well.
Also helpful is the idea of diminishing returns– the point after which a food doesn’t taste quite as good. Stop eating it then!
Balancing: one or two carb based meals (whole grain preferred), one or two protein meals, 2 fruits, unlimited veggies, 2 fats, 2 sweets, 2 snacks, 2 beverages plus unlimited water, 2 exceptions.
Idiot-Proof Tofu Salad Sandwich
* 7 oz firm tofu, drained & mashed
* 1 tsp Dijon mustard
* 1 tsp mayo
* 3/4 tsp Spike seasoning (or salt & pepper)
Combine all ingredients and spread on toasted sprouted grain bread topped with soy cheese or veggie cheese.
Healthy Brown Rice Breakfast
* 1/2 cup cooked brown rice
* 1/4 cup soymilk (or rice or almond milk, or regular milk)
* 1 Tbsp raisins or dried cranberries
* 1 tsp sliced almonds
* 1 Tbsp maple syrup
* 1/2 tsp cinnamon
Combine all in saucepan & warm, about 5 minutes
sub=Unleash Your SkinnyGirl and Free Yourself from a Lifetime of Dieting